11-05-2012, 07:55 PM   #15
kiwi29
Team iTouge
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 M-Tech 328i

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtaccord View Post
Air does not get into your brake system just because you replaced the pads....
I thought it was possible because I had the caliper hanging a bit lower than normal and maybe it opened an air leak
Quote:
Originally Posted by raceyBMW View Post
If it were me, I would take the wheels off again just for peace of mind, and make sure that the pads are all seated in the caliper housing correctly. Its a pain, but can't be too safe when it comes to the brakes, especially if you suspect something is up.
I plan on doing that tomorrow and hopefully I don't find any kinks
Quote:
Originally Posted by gpb View Post
Why? How would air enter the system in a typical pad change where you're not opening up the caliper?

Not that it'd ever hurt to bleed the system and pull out any contaminants that might be in the cylinders, but I'm curious as to your claim that one needs to do so every time you change pads. Is there something special about BMW's that's different from all the other marques?

kiwi29: whats your pedal feel like now? Your experiences sounds a LOT like raceyBMW's suggestion. If everything is normal now, that might have been it. If you still have a soft pedal then something's up with the system and it's time to bleed if for no reason but to eliminate that possibility.
I have been taking his advice and it actually helped a lot
Quote:
Originally Posted by crzylildude View Post
Maybe OP opened up the brake fluid reservoir so he can depress the pistons? It will bubble up on the reservoir if you do that... or maybe clogged brake lines...

This typically happens when you install new pads but not always... It is safer to Bleed and Bed your brakes...
I never opened the reservoir when I depressed the pistons, I figured I should've though, I might need to bleed the brake system again
Driving is like having sex.
It really is. You can read up all you want about how to please a woman, you can look at all the diagrams in the world, but just like the clitoris, you won't know what the hell an apex is before you actually find it.
Appreciate 0