12-10-2018, 11:09 AM   #11
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: The E90 + Z4 Coupe & Z3 R'ster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimmer_Engineer View Post
So I’ve got a 5db2 and the abs and tire monitor aren’t working according to the I-Drive. Most of the stuff I’ve read seems to indicate that it’s the wheel bearing. It seems like there’s a slight possibility it’s the sensor...has anyone solved this by changing the sensor?
So about a year after my last reply in this thread, I lost the left rear wheel speed sensor. I replaced it and all was well. A few months later, the same speed sensor came up lame again. Further investigation showed the face of the sensor was rubbing against the ABS toothed ring. So with the second sensor I mounted it about 0.75MM farther away from the toothed ring. Did just used a small washer on the mounting bolt under the body of the sensor between it and the wheel hub. It raised it enough to keep the sensor from contacting the ring.

About a year later I discovered why there was contact between the ring and the sensor. The ring being iron (for good magnetic properties) had corroded really bad, grew in size, and was rubbing on the face of the sensor. I discovered this when I was replacing the rear wheel bearings. The ABS ring is fixed to the outboard CV joint housing and it sits just inside of the back of wheel hub where the axleshaft enters. The left axle was rusted all to hell and fused with the splines in the hub flange, so I had to replace the shaft anyway. With the new shaft in place and its new ABS ring, I remounted the speed sensor back in its original position. It's been good ever since.
Appreciate 1