View Single Post
      09-29-2017, 10:38 AM   #232
Chappers 71
Major General
Rep
Drives: Beige G31 40ix m sport

Garage List
Seems that I'm going to have to spend some money on the 35i
It had been unused for 7 weeks or so & now I've started driving it again I noticed a burning oil smell yesterday. I've had a look around the engine bay & have noticed that the valve cover gasket has started leaking.
My Indy has quoted £350 labour & the gaskets around £40, I'm not sure if the valve cover is cracked, guess I won't know until it's stripped down. If I buy a new valve cover it comes with gasket, replacement one time use bolts & a new PCV at a cost of £365 from main dealer.
I suppose it's done well to last for 105+k but I am wondering if the car not being used for a while contributed to the vcg failing. I also suspect if the vcg is leaking the sump gasket will also either be leaking or will start leaking shortly, I suspect that'll be expensive as the subframe has to be dropped, anyone had these two jobs done recently & could let me know the cost?

Mot is also due next month

I did have the car up for sale but I guess if I'm going to be spending out on it I may as well keep it, although getting in & out is a bit difficult at the moment due to my dicky knee.
If I do keep it I will also have to buy a set of rear seat & 1/4 panel covers so we can take the dog out in the car.
E34 3.6 M5. E34 525i sport.
VW Jetta Mk2 GTI 16v. 1679cc 1967 resto-cal beetle
Appreciate 0