View Single Post
      04-10-2019, 07:07 PM   #85
PhaseP
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 325XI

Quote:
Originally Posted by jadidaskv View Post
interesting. i ended up getting my axle in. i jus kept working it until it came through enough to get the nut started. the one thing that concerns me about this video, he gets the axle through the hub then says connect it to the dif. wouldnt that make the inner joint not as tight and more likely to come apart like mine did at the inner joint since you're getting the outer in place then pushing the inner into the dif?
There is a c-clip at the differential end of those axles. When pushed in all the way it engages with a groove cut inside the diff and stays put. It pops in. It only comes out if it axially pushed out with enough force that squeezes the c-clip to pop it out of its groove. Regardless if axle was first it was put in diff or to the wheel hub, as long as the inner joint end axle was pushed until it popped into its place inside the differential, it won't matter.

The inner CV joint allows a few inches of axial movement, so under normal use and suspension geometry, it can't come out enough to push the end of the axle pop out. If things go wrong it may rip the inner rubber boot first instead.

If your axle came out you should check the engine mount bracket bolts, check if any of them are broken. If they are, this lets the engine move around which in turn allows the inner cv joint to move more than it is designed for and can come out. In N52 (non-turbo) AWD E90's there has been several cases people shared that this happened and resulted in repeated replacement of the CV axle until the real culprit, which was broken bolt or bolts on the engine mount bracket was found and replaced. In N52 because these bolt on to the magnesium engine block, they are aluminum. In N54/N55 they don't have to aluminum but BMW sometimes shares same bolts between these engines, so I would check them if I were you.
Appreciate 0