View Single Post
      02-16-2016, 07:40 AM   #38
benton0311
Lance Corporal
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 335i, Graphite

Excellent DIY! I just finished this over the weekend on my 08 6MT with oil cooler.

A couple things I noticed:

It would be a good idea to flush your coolant while doing this repair. Once the OFHG and/or OCHG begin to leak internally, oil will begin to mix with the coolant. Once I had everything off, I found traces of oil in the coolant and coolant in the oil. This leak can happen at either gasket and both gaskets were leaking on my car. Coolant in the oil is bad for lubrication as well as gaskets that were only designed to seal for oil and oil in the coolant can cause problems with the water pump and heater core, not to mention diminished cooling ability.

My OCHG was leaking as bad or worse than my OFHG. I wouldn't skip replacing the OCHG while doing this repair. Even it's not leaking visibly on the outside, the inner part of the gasket can leak and allow coolant and oil to mix.

I was able to get to the hidden bolt by only slightly lifting the intake manifold but it probably wouldn't be a bad idea to have an intake manifold gasket handy when you do this repair. I wish I would have replaced mine but didn't have one so now I'm crossing my fingers I don't develop boost leaks at the manifold.

Some have reported that the connector for the coolant hose that runs to the cylinder head can deteriorate or crack over time. I ordered a billet aluminum replacement off of ebay and it's an excellent fit although my OEM connector seemed to be fine.
Appreciate 0