View Single Post
      05-18-2020, 10:17 AM   #3
Evergreen24
Rep
Drives: 2011 335d M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by PerfectAce View Post
I can only speak to BMW of Austin (North) as the only service I've ever had done by the dealer was done there and it was recall work.

The good: very nice customer service. Gave me a loaner for the day even though the work only took a few hours, although I had to schedule it ahead of time. If you need to hang around, the amenities are great -- coffee, lounge, movie theater.

The bad: when i first bought my car, I stopped by the dealer to buy some parts and swung by the service dept to ask a few questions about possible future service, namely: carbon cleaning on the M57 diesel. I asked if they'd ever walnut blasted a diesel before, how much it would cost, etc. The service writer said he was never aware of them having done one, and was confident that because he'd never seen that service done it was unlikely my car needed it. I laughed.

If you don't mind me asking, do you have an extended warranty on your 335d? If not, your wallet would probably be better off finding a good independent shop. European Motorwerks at the Domain has a tech (or at least used to) that drove a 335d. Not that that means they'd be the best place to take your car, but it does mean that they at least have some familiarity with the platform, and more importantly, the M57 diesel.

IMO, you needn't be worried that a shop that services BMWs might baffled by the e90 platform -- mechanically, it's not really that different than what came before or after. Your worry should be finding a good tech that can service the oil burner under the hood.
I actually need work done on the ventilation system... so not M57 specific.

I do have an extended warranty. I talked to the shop foreman at BMW North and I liked him a lot, so I decided to let them have at it. I get very paranoid any time the dash comes out... well, paranoia validated.

I was considering Terry Sayther, have you had any experience with them?
Appreciate 0