View Single Post
      01-12-2011, 05:37 AM   #1
ALF_E90
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E91 330i - see classifieds...

Swapping 18's for 17's

I appreciate this is probably an unusual step, but having found the car so much sweeter with 17x8's and 225/45/17 all round I have bought a set of the same wheels for summer use and will be selling the staggered 18" style 162's. They look lovely but IMHO E90/1 cars are hardly lookers at the best of times, certainly not before the facelift (which helped the saloon a lot) and as a high-miles driver the way the car drives, and the running costs, matter more than wheel bling.

Since the 18's came off the ride quality, handling balance, and economy have all improved. In a car I spend a lot of time in, not having to clench my buttocks every time I see a pothole or crappy bit of road coming up is a massive bonus. Plus I prefer being able to swap fronts and rears to wear out a set evenly, like to be able to buy premium (non-RFT) tyres for just over £100 each (handy when you use at least a set a year), and think that the main safety concern with tyre grip tends to be aquaplaning - when narrower tyres are better.

So go on, flame me
Appreciate 0