View Single Post
      01-31-2010, 06:28 PM   #193
JLa2r
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2006 BMW 330xi

I tried to build this device today. I had ordered all of the parts from Radioshack.com but two of them were not exactly correct. Firstly, I couldn't get LED lamps which rated over 3 volts, so I burnt them out almost immediately. Secondly, the capacitor part number listed was 1000uf but 50v; it's almost 5x the size of the one pictured. I built the device and got the LEDS to flash once or twice but after they burnt out I couldn't tell if it was working. I hooked a multimeter up to it and saw values raising and then dropping (the actual values I can't recall) but I don't trust my device in my car since I don't know if will cause any damage or not. So, thanks for the DIY, I gave it my best effort but I think I will shy away from ultimately implementing this one. Now I just have to decide if I want to spend the money on the actual alarm (I'm already getting the insurance credit for it, so its more for peace of mind) or asking the dealer if they can make it work without the alarm installed. Thanks again!
Appreciate 0