View Single Post
      02-21-2018, 10:02 AM   #1
nissubaru
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 09 335i MSport + 1990 300ZX TT

Latest Wastegate Rattle Fixes?

Instead of wading through the hundreds of threads regarding the rattling wastegates on these cars I felt it would be best to start a new thread that was free of the information overload and outdated comments. Basically what I want to know in this thread are the different methods in which wastegate rattle has been fixed/improved and the efficacy of that method.

For instance, I know you can adjust the wastegate position using JB4 or MHD. I did this yesterday and my car is much quieter now but this sounds like a bandaid rather than a permanent solution. Any short or long term experience on this method would be great to hear.

Another method I'm aware of is rotating the nut on the wastegate actuator rods as well as sliding in a washer or two to eliminate the slack or something like that. Would love to hear from anyone who has done this and how long it's held up.

Last method that I've heard the least about but seemed the most interested in is replacing the wastegate actuators or the clips while the turbos are still on the car. Something like that. I've had the downpipes off enough times that I would be open to giving this one a shot if it's a more permanent fix than the rod adjustment & not significantly harder.

Anything I'm missing?
Appreciate 0