Rep
Drives: 2007 Black/Black 335i e90

Garage List
2007 BMW E90 335i  [0.00]
2008 bmw x5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by kulxio View Post
Hi!

As the title says, I've been chasing the cause of blue smoke from my 07 335i.

It all started about 6 months ago with the typical coming-to-a-stop smoke, so I decided to replace my turbos with a pair of upgraded hybrids.
This removed 90% of the smoke, but I still hade some "passive" smoke which seemed to come and go randomly. I didn't bother since it was really minor.

1 month ago the smoke started getting worse though.
It's pretty much smoking all the time, except for when it's cold. It also seems to go away after idling for a while (about 1 minute).
I replaced the valve cover gasket, which didn't solve the problem.
I then continued by blocking the pcv ports in the head and installed an external PCV system, but it's still not better. I've also done a compression test which seemed to be fine, around 170psi on all cylinders.

The smoke is blue, and it's also using alot of oil.
My next step is to double check the turbo installation since I didn't do it myself, to make sure that the oil return lines are fine.

Any ideas since I'm running out of them myself?
Thanks!
Blue smoke at start up = bad valve stem seals.

You could try and solve your problem with a oil additive. Liqui Moly Stop Smoke is a great additive. You will need to change your oil & filter & add 1.5 to 2 bottles of this stuff, which = 20oz. Then add 6 qts 12 oz of oil.

It will take 500 miles for it to fully kick in. Some reviews say it takes two treatments and to not go WOT until you get 500 miles on the engine treatment.

If after 2 treatments it doesn't work, then unfortunately your only other option is to physically replace the seals.
Appreciate 1