View Single Post
      12-29-2022, 02:32 AM   #1
defragg_
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW E91

The millionth e91 base audio upgrade thread

Hello everyone!

I've been reading for weeks in order to upgrade the whole audio setup from my BMW. I've gone to bed and waken up to the same e90post thread, figuring out (or trying to) how to fix the awful sound that come out of the speakers. I've learnt what a harness cable is among many other things!

I am a complete noob when it comes to electrical/car wiring and I have still a lot of questions, due to many of the information being outdated sometimes (the whip is old man, it's crazy they still manufacture speaker sets) or to my lack of expertise. I work with computers so any proximate analogy will definitely help.

So far I've found out that my e91 2006 lacks everything. I have base audio system (no hifi with amp) and that's it, professional head unit that I changed to an Eonon q65. I know speakers are directly powered by the head unit and this system can be sum up as pure dogwater.

I used to drive an e87 with alpine hifi retrofit done by official BMW vendor and while it was definitely an upgrade, it still lacked everything. Maybe the twitters would highlight a little bit but I found them poorly equalized and not being used completely.

---------------
After reading all the links gathered by ctuna over the years, I've made the conclusion that the best equipment for a e91 would be replacing all the speakers and adding an amp to power them. 2x Subs, 2x tweeters, 2x mids, right?

So far, the recommended options are basically a 'plug n play' kit. Brands that I've seen are Focal, Gladen, MB-Quart, Mosconi and SWS / JBL (from more to less recommended).

· What type of sound do they give? I've heard Focals are "harsh" while Morel are "warm". I will mostly prioritise the listening to death metal and psytrance. How about Gladen or MB-Quart? How do they compare between each other (knowing that this is completely subjective)?

· Is it correct that pnp speaker kits can replace the stock components hassle free? Dismount, plug out, plug in, go? If not, what cables are required for so? I know technic makes harnesses and whatnot but I can't order from them as I'm EU based. Is there any other EU vendor that makes the same cables or similar and sells them along the speakers?

· In case I wanted to add more speakers, how would I approach this? Buy the interior door panels with the speaker enclosure and add 2x mids? Since rear mid speakers are not usually worth it.

· Respecting the wiring, and as I said, I'm a completely noob; How do I connect the amp to the battery? Do these wires that are sold with the kits just plug to the battery? If they're not, what type of cables do I have to run around the car for all the speakers? Is there any where I could document myself on this?

Oh and while I want something really good, I'd love to keep it under 600-750€ amps or dsps included.

I'll gladly appreciate any help you can throw. It's my first real DIY project and I'd love to learn along the way.

Thanks for your time and replies
Appreciate 0