Rep
Drives: .

Quote:
Originally Posted by shimshimhada
http://www.zeckhausen.com/CDV.htm

Cliffnotes:
1. Direct clutch modulation possible
2. Lengthens clutch life significantly
3. They will never know, even if they did, they would have to prove that it somehow caused the problem at hand.
Shim,
Regarding #3, they can easily tell if you actually REMOVE the CDV (which this DIY describes). Any transmission problem can then be attributed to its removal, since it's an obvious part that will be missing. You should in theory install it back if something comes up.

Some people like me have gotten the CDV modified (wider opening) to avoid any warranty issues. Had Zeckhausen do it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shimshimhada
The purpose of it is to protect noobs from burning up the clutch, however, it's only detrimental to people with standard experience.

I believe the CDV actually protects the transmission at the expense of the clutch, by slowing the linkup between the engine and tranny. So it's more to protect noobs from destroying the rest of the tranny by resulting in slower clutch linkage (more friction wear) if you try to drop the clutch at 6k RPM.

The modification opens up the opening in the CDV to allow for a faster clutch takeup without the "delay".

Retired:
'08 550i (ED)
'06 330i