Three_thirty_I
Lieutenant Colonel
South Africa
Rep
Drives: '05 E90 330i Manual

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Efthreeoh View Post
Just finished up this morning. I had to remove a piece of rubber I jammed in the firewall to hold the oil vapor line in place while the JB Weld set up (love that stuff). I reset the mechanical limits of the Valvetronic and took it for a test drive. All seems good with the field repair of the hose. I'll take her to work today for a 160 mile shakedown test. I don't expect it to hold forever but it beat pulling the intake and waiting to get a new pipe. I really didn't have a VCG leak per se, just some weeping, but two years ago I got a ESS trouble code with a failed start, so I was on borrowed time on the ESS. It did have some oil in the connector. Your thoughts on using dieletric grease for the connector? I didn't use any, but thought about it. I was afraid that any change in the voltages coming from the ESS would throw a code, so I decided to first check the install without any dieletric grease in the connector.

For the LHD versions, there is a bracket bolted to the firewall that keeps the right front brake line and another line tight to the firewall. It's all cramped there with the ECU box and harnesses in that corner.
Glad you got all sorted out. And hope that the repaired hose lasts. I don't know about using a dielectric grease for the connector, might not be a problem, but I would probably not use it. I pulled the connector off mine not so long ago and of course, dry as a whistle, but decided to give it a spray of some electrical switch cleaner, which I immediately regretted due to the remaining silicone residue. So I carefully sprayed some alcohol based cleaner onto the connector of the sensor and plug, then quickly blasted with some compressed air. So at least it's all clean and free of any dust or any sort of residue. Of course, no difference to performance or anything of the sort.

Reason for asking about the difference between LHD and RHD, just before I bought my car, BMW had apparently replaced the valve cover gasket due to a leak, and there is no signs of "engine bay modifications" to get the valve cover off, so it must be an easy task on the RHD models.

Appreciate 0