View Single Post
      09-23-2018, 12:49 AM   #1
Ke92v
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 3 series

Upgraded to 19” wheels

Hello,

I just wanted to give a review of what happened when I upgraded my wheels from from 17” to 19”. I drive a pre lci e92 328xi and it had the OEM 225/45/17 square set up from factory.

I picked up a pair of used rims and tires 19x8.5 235/35/19 and 19x10 255/30/19 and the car feels a lot different.

Pros: the car looks a lot nicer and fills in the wheel well quite nicely. Handling wise, the improvements are negligible.

cons: car feels much heavier. Not sure if it of the increased rotational mass, but the car feels much more heavier and the engine seems to have to work harder.

The steering feel is also heavier and feels slower to turn. I am a lot more cautious of driving it because of the added weight and the slimmer tires

The front seems like I am sitting higher up, the rolling diameter is still the same so I am not sure why it’s affected. However i do plan on lowering it soon and see if it’ll feel like the original height again.

Comfort wise the car lost in this department. The suspension doesn’t feel the same. It doesn’t seem to absorb as much as it did before and doesn’t dampen as much as the 17”. I feel much more of the road and I’d say that it loss the sense of luxury in the car.

I consider the 328 more on the luxury side and the 335 more on the sportier side. If you’re looking for the sportier feel I would say 19” would be fine for the 335 but for the 328 which is more balanced between luxury and sportiness I would say 18” might be better.

I have KW v1 to lower the front of the car and I’d probaly keep the height of the back right now. The coil overs will probably make the car handle stiffer but I don’t mind too too much. As long as the it does increase handling and make the car turn nicer and feel lighter.

Did anyone else have a similar experience ? Let me know
Appreciate 0