rjahl
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Z4 35is

Garage List
2012 Z4 35is  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by bateray View Post
Yeah guys.. I know that DME controls the temperature... But i still dont like and dont think that in long term this temperature are good for the engine, i preffer to run colder and sacrifice a little fuel economy, but to save my engine for longer time. I have a friend with the same car that somehow bypass the original thermostat and install another thermost from Renault and from 2litre oil for 10k km, the ening stop burning the oil!! But I don't like the way it's done! So again my question is there are someone that done something like this?? To install another thermostat or somehow remmaped the DME?
Come on, these engines can last for 300,000 miles without issues, I had 200,000k with my E85. All using stock temperature control.

The BMW N52 cooling system is very good. You will not extend the life by running the engine at a cooler temp.

In most situations , everything else on the car will fall apart before you wear out the engine. My E85 was losing its paint, seats were done, hardtop was wore out. Console plastic was going etc. Florida sun was just killing it.
Appreciate 0