View Single Post
      12-19-2012, 05:47 PM   #79
BonnieT100
Registered
Rep
Drives: E90 330i

a few suggestions to minimize time and mess

My bimmer is a 2006 330i N52 (non turbo)

Thanks so much for this. I just completed it and saved almost $774 (dealer quote). I bought a gasket for $15, gallon of coolant, and a 8mm box ratchet wrench $15.

I have a few suggestions to add to the DIY that will make the job easier. I listed the steps in order.

1) - Definitely get the 8mm ratcheting box wrench. The job would have been difficult if not impossible without it because there is so little space to turn the bolt behind the exhaust manifold. Only $15 at Autozone.

2) - Try to loosen the bolt behind the manifold first. It is the most difficult and if you can't break that one loose, then there's not point in loosening the others and causing a leak. Only break the bolt free for now, don't remove it at this time.

3) - once you have established you can loosen that bolt, empty the oil filter housing of as much oil as possible, this will minimize any leaking when you unbolt the housing. I took out the filter and used paper towels to soak up the oil. I kept the filter in a plastic bag so I could reuse it. Leave the lid off and it will give you more room to move the ratchet for the bolt behind the manifold.

4) - Rather than drain the radiator (unless you needed to change it anyway), I threaded a plastic trash bag under the oil filter housing to catch the leaking fluid. The top hose doesn't hold that much fluid so I didn't lose more than half a quart.

5) - Remove all the bolts. Use a second wrench for additional leverage. This also reduces the risk of stripping the bolt because when you use a longer lever, the force is directed more toward a circular motion rather than into the bolt.

6) - As you remove them the fluid will leak into the plastic bag you prepositioned. The hole for the radiator fluid is the bottom one of the housing so you don't have to worry about it leaking into your oil. If you removed the oil (step 3), very little will leak when you remove the housing.

7) - Remove and clean the gasket from the housing. Brake cleaning fluid helps. I recommend using a scouring pad (like for dishes) to buff off the residue.

8) - Tighten the bolts gradually, alternating turns among the three bolts (like tightening a valve cover). I just tightened them until I met resistance and gave it a little more.

9) - Vent the radiator and fill per DIY instructions.

10) Spray water to wash away any coolant that didn't make it into the plastic bag.

The job took me an hour because I was careful and didn't know what to expect. I can repeat the process in less than 30 minutes. It's easy enough that I plan to replace it at the first sign of a new leak.

Good luck and enjoy the $700 you saved.

Last edited by BonnieT100; 01-13-2013 at 08:10 AM.. Reason: clarification of engine type
Appreciate 2