01-17-2014, 08:52 PM   #12
ezmaass
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 650xi GC / '15 Audi R8 V10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Efthreeoh View Post
Congrats on the car. Not sure why a spare tire is necessary in this day and age. I keep a plug kit and tire inflator stored in the trunk floor compartment. Seems ridiculous to keep a spare in the trunk and lose the space it eats up and unnecessary weight to haul around.
I've kept a Continental ContiComfort Kit in the trunk for ages after swapping out the original run-flats. If you get a puncture that's relatively tame (like a nail), this kit includes a nice air compressor and "goo" that'll make it usable again in minutes. If the puncture is much more severe (like tearing a big gash in a sidewall), it won't work - you'll need to call for assistance.

RFTs are the other option - just keep these on your car. They're a bit more harsh, but they work well. You really need to demolish an RFT for it not to work. Most scenarios will still allow the tire to ride with zero air for up to 50 miles.

Some people find a spare still more convenient, but I'm of the mind that either of the above options will work for MOST people under most circumstances. If you drive long distances through more desolate areas, then maybe a real spare is the way to go.
Appreciate 0