View Single Post
      01-18-2012, 11:15 PM   #343
amclint
boom
Rep
Drives: 335xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by nailer335 View Post
If this is the same build plan as outlined on n54tech, $12k would realistically cover parts, right? Then there's installation and probably breaking things that would need to be replaced. $12k initially if everything goes right, unless youve got some deep discounts... it becomes a huge ticking time bomb that will be a money pit just to keep it ticking also, arguably the coolest non M 3 series to date (opinions may vary)

Either way, I remain hopeful but skeptical of these cars handling 500+whp like the e46 M3s do/did. I am eager to be proven wrong on many customer cars for many miles, like the e46s (barring all differences between platforms, etc) excited to see where this goes
Yes, same build-out although cheaper for drag only and if I sell the stock parts before they break. Consider $3k RB Turbos, $4k Level 10 Trans, $2k in half-shafts and $1250 for DP and FMIC. I would sell the stock DP, FMIC and half-shafts which would hopefully net ~$1k and then budget ~$2k to install it all. Drag radials x 4 and a coilover setup would add to that but not really mandatory at first.

I remain skeptical as well on reliability, it's hard to see other platforms with their superior drivetrains and not wonder if it would be better to switch. I can't seriously consider a Z06 or GTR, but I'll tell you the CTS-V is all but calling my name at $40k for an '09. It's good there aren't any used ones close by or I'd have to go drive one
Appreciate 0