View Single Post
      02-24-2011, 05:51 PM   #78
Clap135
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2009 N54

Quote:
Originally Posted by roninsoldier83 View Post
Without coming off an as a prick, I honestly don't think Mike understands what he's talking about. These cars have load vs RPM timing tables just like every other modern vehicle I've ever tuned.... most of which have been posted more than once.

For reference Mike, here's a stock timing map/table for a N54:

On top of that, here's the base timing values for Cobb's stage 1 timing map:

^^^Funny, they look exactly like pretty much every other timing table I've ever played with. They have limits (Mike's "maximum set points") based on load vs RPM.... just like a Subaru... and every other modern car I've ever played with/tuned.

+1 to yourself and Shiv. If base/maximum timing values cannot be obtained under WOT, the timing tables are too aggressive for conditions, and a tuner worth his salt would reduce timing to ensure knock free operation under any load within normal conditions, only relying on the knock sensor as a failsafe.

Most modern cars have knock control systems that decrease/retard timing based on knock, BMW's knock sensors simply appear to merely be more sensitive and the ECU/DME is able to react more quickly.

Cliff notes: N54 timing is controlled in the same manner as any other car I've ever seen- via a RPM vs load table.
Im so glad you have patience left for this. I would probably curse him out and get banned in my next reply. Hopefully more poeple who understand how tuning works (not saleman) begin to realize the BS the community is being fed here. This is for the good of the n54 tuning world, lying simply makes it good for BMS and screws everyone over.
Appreciate 0