11-04-2009, 01:17 PM   #1
Mike@N54Tuning.com
Joint Chiefs of Staff
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i, 2015 M3

JB3 1.4 and JB3 Hardware

Hey guys..

There have been a few posts about different "generations" of the JB3 hardware and what is compatible with what, so I thought I would make this thread explaining things a little more as there appears to be some confusion.

There are three types of JB3 boards in circulation, Gen-1, Gen-2 and Gen-3, but in terms of software and hardware compatibility we can group Gen-2 and Gen-3 together.

Gen - 1 - Sold up to March 2009

Gen - 2/Gen-3 - April 2009 - current

Around the time when 1.3 was finalized BMS added an additional component to the board, the blue 10uf capacitor shown in the picture. BMS and I found around 5% of cars out there needed this capacitor to run the stronger 1.3/1.4 lagfix maps. Thus the G1 board with the extra capacitor is the G2/G3 board.

So what does this mean in terms of the new 1.4 software. Probably nothing for most of you unless you have an older G1 board and are having problems with the latest lagfix maps. Problems such as random 2ABC SES codes, or random stumbles only with the lagfix maps under light throttle. The 1.4 lagfix maps are even stronger than the 1.3 maps, and future maps will be stronger, so this may become more of an issue for you.

If you are having these issues please email or PM me, but first please figure out what version of the JB3 you have.

I would also like to make it clear that the Gen-3 board ads nothing in terms of performance or drivability over the Gen-2 board. The Gen-3 board will be important when 2.0 comes out, but we will have more info on that later on.

FYI - All current JB3's ship with the Gen-3 board and the latest 1.4 software

Hope this clears a few things up.

Mike
Attached Images

Last edited by Mike@N54Tuning.com; 11-04-2009 at 02:10 PM..
Appreciate 0