nitehawk
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: e92 335i 6MT

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by vase330 View Post
??? This is original radiator that has worked fine up to now. I haven't hit anything and nothing is lodged in there. I suppose hairline crack is possible, but would it explain the spraying? Sounds like something plastic that expands with the right conditions met and just lets the water out under pressure. It could be hoses on the bottom end of the car maybe? I am unwilling to dealer it, or just go randomly replacing hoses hope it one of them that's leaking. Again car looks new, nothing out of place or worn or anything. I have 32K miles, and barely 10K miles since my last coolant leaking issue repair.
Wow, that is rather puzzling. I was going to suggest leaving the car running on the hoist, while trying to find the leak, but that's no use if it's so intermittent. Pressure testing may only help if it's a large enough crack, since you need heat to simulate real life temp conditions.

You can try adjusting the clamps for the upper and lower radiator hoses and see if that helps. That's the only area that I can think of that may cause an intermittent leak. This would also be the cheapest part to replace to at least eliminate one potential source.

Do you see any dried up coolant on the engine block or around the head?
Appreciate 0