View Single Post
      01-22-2018, 02:37 PM   #9
david in germany
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 118i, 335i and 328i

Quote:
Originally Posted by AD18 View Post
Hmm ok thanks for the replies. I did think the "Brembo" discs were just a standard type and not really an upgrade. I haven't come across the term hot spots before, is that still some sort of overheating of the discs?
I noticed when I drove the car today that the initial bite has now gone, they feel 'slippery' as if there isn't much friction between the pad and disc.
If it is pad deposits, can this be removed if I bed the brakes in again? Is this where drilled or slotted discs reduce this?
Definitely agree with BMW brakes being p*** poor. I left the day thinking to maybe change the car to something else, but like you say even with an M3 I'd still need to pour money into it for the brakes to last a trackday
BMW brakes are not poor.
Slotted and drilled reduce surface area and more surface area equals more friction and better stopping.
Yes, hot spots are where the rotors have heated up and become harder in certain areas and cause the pads to skip across the rotor (crazy vibrations). I have a picture of a pair of rotors I smoked on mine after chasing an e60 m5. Had to slow REALLY hard to make my autobahn exit. I will see if I can find one of the pics.
2009 335i Saphire Black M Sport "Leopold" Cobb stage 2 aggressive tune, Mishimoto FMIC, Cobb charge pipe, Cobb catted down pipes, Forge diverter valves, BMS inlets and DCI, Cyba scoops and M Individual Audio retrofit and M3 gauge cluster retrofit.
2011 328i Titan Silver M Sport "Franzel" <--Wife's car
Appreciate 0