Major General
Australia
Rep
Drives: Space Grey E92 335i 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coupes33 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by DR-JEKL View Post
So I recently had my rims fitted and TBH been too busy to take the car for a twisty rd drive!

Last week end I got her out to do a log (finalising the 98 map) and took some quick snaps with my phone:

The tuning has gone well, and TBH I’m surprised how strong the car feels on just 98 with conservative timing and boost!

These turbos spool so fast Tim was having troubles on his initial tunes (to maintain smooth boost control in an attempt to try & rein them in from overboosting) so they’ve been different from RB’s/Pures which have bigger wheels which spool more progressively later on in the rev range.

Spool v's RB's (VTT's on the left)

My next step is to start planning to tune on E40 direct injection only.

I understand why guys go PI, but personally I don’t need 400+ RWKW I’m after responsive tune with holding decent boost to redline. I think that PI in its current guise is still somewhat crude, and its quite expensive bit of kit also!

So my plan is to start tuning on E40 DI only and I’ve got a stage 3 LPFP to go in. Tim is happy to try and see how the stage 2 LPFP goes if I wish to commence E40 tuning, but I’ll see how I go I might just wait it out until I get the stage 3 in (a strong LPFP feed into the high side fuel rail apparently assists the HPFP from crashing)

Since my car was in the workshop getting the turbos fitted at the time of the airbag & blower recall I didn’t get it done straight away. I decided to get it done last week, and it had been 6 years since I’d set foot into my local BMW dealer! (the car was under warranty and I had a starting issue yet they still charged me, vowed to never go back!)

Must say they were reasonably efficient and well organised, made me smirk when they’d said they gave it a wash and vaccumm (I’d washed it and vacced it a few days prior) and apparently the guys in the workshop say they see a lot of E9X’s but they’re all quite knocked around its rare to see one as tidy as this one. They were confused about the seats and the idrive (M3 novillo and NBT) but yeah it was great to get the old airbag out as the airbag roundel was looking ordinary (the chrome sections were looking ordinary) the new airbag cover looks really nice against the nice clean matte novillo M3 tiller!

I've got a driveday organised next weekend, so am looking to get her out for a blast!!
Your car is looking immaculate as ever Shane. Very impressive numbers on 98. 330rwkw (429fwkw) is 30kw more than mine got on the RB Classics. On E40, you should pick up another 20-30rwkw. When I ran my car on E40, the Fuel-it Stage 2 LPFP handled it ok. It was only when I changed to 100 E85 that the Stage 3 LPFP and PI was required. Have you had a chance in your drive to test whether the tyres are going to scrape on the guards or is it all ok in this area.
Hey Ken

Ahh ok Im surprised at the peak power tbh on just 98 (in mustang mode not dynojet mode on virtual dyno) but I'll try and wack it up on the rollers and get a baseline dyno run.

I honestly thought it'd be more like 40rwkw on E40 with a lot more timing and boost, but I'll wait and see

I've taken it for a blap and hit dips and speed bumps that my 19" setup use to scrub on but it was ok. I'm thinking the ohlins have far superior dampers, perhaps this is playing a part also. The real test is 100km/h in twisties mid corner and hitting a bump :-/
Appreciate 0