View Single Post
      12-31-2015, 01:59 PM   #934
Pmk2011
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2011 335i Coupe

Competent mechanic

Does anyone know a competent mechanic who could diagnose the issue with my car? I lost confidence at my dealer's technicians after what happened recently.

Just before Christmas, I took my car (2011 335i coupe, MT, AWD) to the dealer for an oil change and investigate why once (about couple of months ago) my car stopped while waiting at the red light and stalled while driving right after that. The SA suggested that it is time to change the spark plugs as my car has 99K km on it, which I agreed. They kept the car overnight and in addition to oil change and spark plug changes, they charged me 3 hours labour, 1 for investigation and 2 for updating the software to make it recent since it was never updated since factory loading, stating that this software update fixes the stalling issue. I wasn't happy that they are charging me for a bug fix software update, where the bug was present in the factory loaded software, day one. But, this is another story.

I drove my car home and it felt quite nice. The next day, while I was driving the engine light came on, that is all yellow. Was it a coincidence that this light is coming on right after my visit to the dealer and their software upgrade? I went back to the dealer and they charged me another hour of labour for investigating and finding nothing (claiming that this light has nothing to with what they did a day ago, it is pure coincidence), except to say that it is the code 28A0 that is causing the engine light to turn on. I did some searching at this forum's archive and it turns out this code is very allusive and well known, and people say that it is not an important code. Now, the dealer wants to spend another 5 hours to investigate, to open the valve cover and inspect valvetronic system for damage, and I certainly didn't approve this investigation.

So, do you know a technician who can find the root cause of this issue and resolve it?

Thanks.
Appreciate 0