View Single Post
      01-02-2011, 05:13 PM   #12
Kevin Harney
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2009 335i Convertible

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaybird124 View Post
1. Depends on what you're definition of Normal Operating Temperature (NOT) is. You should be able to progressively rev higher once you see the gauge start to move.
2. It can take longer to warm up if you're in a colder climate. The 5W30 should be sufficient.
3. The car has an electric water pump that doesn't even turn on till its needed. This helps the engine warm up significantly faster. I think your heater will be a better indicator of when your car is starting to reach NOT than when the oil gauge goes to 225-250.

I think you're over thinking this a little too much though. While its good to warm things up for long, long term durability (like 200k), the fluids that have been put in are designed to work for the joe shmo who just gets in his car and drives to work.
It's not a racing engine that requires a specific warm up sequence (which is due partly to the particular fluids used in those vehicles).
Warm it up a little, but beyond that, relax and enjoy it.
Ditto !! Manual says get in start and go. No need to warm it up. But it is a good idea to drive gently for a while at the beginning.
Appreciate 0