07-10-2006, 10:47 PM   #30
ages944
Captain
Poland
Rep
Drives: E90 325i

Quote:
Originally Posted by msinfo_us
Just dropped my car at the dealer few days ago. When I described the ticking sound service manager immediatly knew what it was. I left a detailed document with history of the noise -- when, how, how many miles were on the car and istructions on how I think the problem can be replicated. I also left a cd in car stereo with the record of the ticking noise. I am attaching one track from this cd here. Hopefully it can help somebody who is wondering about the ticking sound.
Anyway I've got a call from service manager that they were able to hear ticking noise and my car should be ready next week. It is hydraulic valve lifters. I am going to ask for a copy of parts list replaced and will publish it here. Also, I asked sevice manager about long term impact to the engine and was assured there is none.
PS For some reason I can't attach file. I'll try again later.
$10 (virtual $ of course ) says that your parts list will look like this:

(24x) Hydraulic Valve Lifters (push-rods): 11-33-7-548-690
(1x) Set of Aluminium Screws: 11-12-0-392-548
(15x) Torx Bolt: 11-12-7-535-024
(1x) Valve Cover Gasket: 11-12-7-536-785

the valve lifters were my exact problem. When was the build date on your car? Also, kind of interesting that the service manager immediately recognized the sound. Wonder how many other ppl have had this issue?

Anyway, it's been about 4mo since my issue, and I haven't noticed any problems at all since the fix (knock on wood). If they do it right, hopefully you'll be good to go too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raven_1221
For those that have heard the metallic ticking sound, does it occur only when you accelerate? Ok, I admit it, I recently hit a curb pretty hard (tires only, no scratches on body *phew*), even almost running over it, and soon afterwards, I started notcing this ticking sound whenever I accelerate.
dude, it sounds like you might have knocked something loose maybe. I'd take it to get looked at if you can't isolate the problem.

Mods: Blacklines | Rear Seat Power Outlets | Rear Fog Lights | Ashtray Garage Door Opener
Appreciate 0