View Single Post
      07-11-2006, 10:44 PM   #44
porksoda
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 530i

Lifter noise is very common when the car is cold and after start you hear it maybe for a wee bit. The oil has to reach the lifters and lube em up so after the lubrication the lifter noise goes away.... as someone mentioned up that they drive for a while and the noise goes away. I as a rule of thumb usually start the car and idle for about 30sec to a minute and then drive off.

If your lifter noise is audible even when the car has warmed up then you have a problem. This is very odd that the lifters on a new car have gone bad i wonder if during assembly of the engine someone was a bit sloppy at the bm factory.

In any case lifter noise is very significant and those who have it during the cold start is normal after the car has reached optimum temp the noise should go away.

Also note if your oil has low level you will also have lifter noise... its too bad that you cant check the oil manually but have to rely on the computer because what if the sensor is bad then what? Unless they have failsaif sensors.
Appreciate 0