View Single Post
      01-07-2011, 06:12 PM   #56
mike-y
just another bmw douche bag
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1.9L of fury

I *think* the single stage manifold is completely open on the inside, but I can check tonight or tomorrow morning when I start working on the car again.

But you are right on the 3 stage, that there aren't alternate paths for air (like on a honda). The air still goes thru the same path, but the valves open up the different chambers and use acoustical wave pulses created by engine frequencies to increase the air moving thru the manifold.

kinda like how some cool air intakes will get a big torque bump at certain rpms, when the engine reaches the pipe's resonant frequency.

I'll get my little flashlight and try to take some good pics for you to look at some more.

I'm doing the swap myself, and like 325iMax said, it's a PITA. Really, the biggest pain is disconnecting the crancase vent tubes connected to the oil separator on the back of the manifold, and the corresponding little wires that plug in back there. I bet I spent 2 hours just trying to fit my hands back there to disconnect them. I ended up breaking one, and then said F*** it and broke the other one, and everything came right out, lol.

The Z4 must have more room at the back of the motor, because I wasn't able to undo the little wiring harness clip back there, like they did in that Z4 thread.

Last edited by mike-y; 01-07-2011 at 06:23 PM..
Appreciate 0