View Single Post
      11-26-2007, 09:30 PM   #18
Seth_Horwitz
Tired of feather footed //M drivers
Rep
Drives: 330ci, 911 Turbo X50

All piggybacks (or "chips") that you read about for the 335 engines have two things in common. 1) They increase compressed air flow (turbo boost) into the engine and 2) increase fuel, allowing a more powerful combustion. All of the other niceties are done with various electronics, and vary by tuner. Your car has no turbocharger so you can't increase the air, and can't see anywhere near the gains. (That stupid Tornado intake device that they sell on TV for $30 tries to do just that, but it is a joke.) You can change the electronics to dump as much fuel into the cylinders as you want, but that will just result in a "rich" situation where you wind up blowing more gas through your exhaust than gets burnt in the engine, if you don't flood it first, that is. As far as other normally aspirated engines getting gains from chips, even if an engine is a "detuned" version of an earlier incarnate, the odds are pretty good that there is more than just a software difference. (Restricted intake, headers, ... you name it.) I'm not sure that I've ever seen a chip for a normally aspirated car that was worth it, but that's just me. I'd expect less than 10hp if you did a chip, intake, and exhaust. (You could save some weight with the exhaust swap which would add "butt dyno" horsepower.) Good luck.
Appreciate 0