02-11-2009, 12:24 PM   #12
Ramos
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: G20 2020 M340

Quote:
Originally Posted by methodtim View Post
I agree, except I think you can trim it down even further than that. GM only really needs two brands:

Chevy: regular cars and trucks
Caddy: luxury

They should sell off everything else and stop badge engineering the crap out of every platform they've developed. There's no need for Saturn, even for a "younger audience".

I think GM should follow the business model of the Japanese big three; Honda, Toyota, and Nissan all have two distinct brands - one for regular cars and one for luxury versions of the same platforms. Toyota does have Scion and that's aimed at a younger audience, but Scion has been bleeding sales at a crazy pace even before the economic meltdown (see here - Scion sales have been down for sixteen straight months even as of last August).

GM should sell off or scrap all its other brands - Saturn, Buick, Pontiac, Hummer, Saab, Opel, and god knows whatever else they own. They should stop making GMC models of trucks and SUV's (what the hell is the difference between the Yukon/XL and the Tahoe/Suburban?).

I agree in concept, but Opel does very well in Europe and has great products, why not take advantage of those products and sell them here as Saturn's with a Euro flair?

And Buick sells very well in China, you do not want to give that up..
Appreciate 0