View Single Post
      05-23-2012, 01:23 PM   #393
Detailed Image
United_States
Rep
Drives: Detailed by Detailed Image

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetblackcoupe View Post
hey, i have a 2008 e92 in jet black. i bought it CPO but it had already had a lot of swirl marks and such. the paint isn't looking too impressive and there are a lot of tiny scratches that show in direct sunlight. i have zero experience with all this detailing stuff; when i wash my car i use turtle wax ICE car wash and a few supplies from an auto shop. i'd like to make it look new and maintain a glossy clean look. what should i buy? should i follow the OP's recommendations or are there better products since 2005? if someone could get me started, it would be great as i really want to get into maintaining a clean look. sorry if this has been asked before, i didn't have time to look through 18 pages of this thread. thanks in advance
I would first suggest taking some time to read through this detailing guide and our Ask a Pro Blog. Both have tons of good information along with step by step instructions to help you maximize your efforts.

As for your paint there have been vast improvements in detailing technology and tools available in a very short period of time. I'll outline a full detail to help you restore the exterior paint so it has that incredible shine again.

Wash and Dry
Most swirls come from this process so be sure to use good technique and quality products. If you need to upgrade your products check out these kits:
DI Packages Washing and Drying Basic Kit
DI Packages Washing and Drying Starter Package

Clay Bar
Helps deep clean the paint.
DI Packages DI Gentle Fine Grade Clay Bar 100g & Clay Lube

Polish
This is the step where you actually remove the swirls for good and restore that like new shine again! A buffer is a huge help here as it can more thoroughly work in the polish and really get maximum results. If interested in picking up one the Porter Cable 7424XP Random Orbital Buffer is a completely safe and easy to use tool that will greatly improve your results. I'd recommend a two step polishing combination to really make the paint pop!
Meguiar's Ultra-Cut Compound M105 - Lake Country Orange Light Cutting Pad 2x
Meguiar's Ultra Finishing Polish M205 - Lake Country White Polishing Pad 2x

If you are not interested in a buffer or if it's not within your budget then just pick up the M205 listed above and apply that by hand with a foam applicator and medium pressure.

Sealant
Protect the shine and enhance it!
Blackfire Wet Diamond with Polycharger - Lake Country Blue Fine Finishing Pad 1x

Wax
A sealant provides more than enough protection and an outstanding shine so you can certainly stop there. If you want the maximum gloss apply a wax on top of the sealant.
Poorboy's World Liquid Natty's Blue Wax - Lake Country Blue Fine Finishing Pad

Hand remove all of these products with CLEAN microfiber towels. I highly recommend picking up about 5x - 10x DI Microfiber All Purpose Towel.

If you have any questions I'd be happy to help! Lastly we offer 10% off with the code e90post but it doesn't apply to tools, specials and packages.

Greg @ DI
Appreciate 0