View Single Post
      05-15-2011, 12:36 PM   #16
yakev724
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 15 S3

Mine eased up after about a week.

Haven't had the symbol since a few weeks after making the DIY...though it's possible higher temperature helps the battery produce a slightly higher voltage, pushing the mechanism with more force.

I'll be replacing my battery later this summer when I have some cash (currently an aftermarket one of unknown age).

I got nowhere with coding. I even have a trace file (full features/programmability) of an 06 with the column replaced by the dealer, but anything I've tried (combining that file with mine) hasn't led to anything. My guess is it needs to be programmed with Progman.

My biggest deal with this is the following: I suspect that when BMW replace columns, the new ones don't have a lock mechanism at all. Essentially this should be the same as disconnecting the lock mechanism from the column (4 wire connector) and physically removing the lock.

Very interested to see if this can just be coded and disconnected without paying $$$ for a new column and labor. If anyone has a connect at a dealer, please try this!
Appreciate 0