View Single Post
      05-20-2019, 08:42 AM   #232
JunkyardDogg
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 335is E92

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbalthrop View Post
The "Power Module" on MSV80 DME as used in 328i/xi with N52K engine is in the DME. Your MSD80 or later DME may differ, but when I connect INPA to my MSV80 DME, I can see what Ah rating (90) is selected. To do that, I select DME > F5, Status > F5, IBS/PM > F3, Power Module InfoField 2, and read "Battery Capacity in Ah." "Registration" is merely informational for tech reference. It does NOT affect how the battery is charged. It ONLY enters the current mileage for tech reference (NOT the date ;-), so make sure you keep a record of the date (you DO have a maintenance Database of course ;-), and/or it is shown on the battery case.

When you press F5, Status > F5, IBS/PM > F5, Batterietausch Registrieren (translated: "Register Replacement Battery"), ALL that does is enter the mileage shown on the odometer the instant you pressed "F5". You CAN use INPA to clear/Reset the "Histogram" which is the last 5 days of SOC & SOH, but that will be automatically overwritten in the next 5 days anyway, so NOT critical. Histogram Reset is NEXT menu item after Registration (DME > F5 > F5 > F6, Histogram). You CANNOT use INPA to change (1) Battery TYPE, or (2) Ah rating settings in the DME. Both of those are significant for proper charging of the battery by the alternator, and also for battery life, but the vehicle will operate fine without changing to correct settings. Use NCS to change settings ("coding").

If you replaced a 90 Ah FLA battery with an 80 Ah FLA, you probably will get approximately normal battery life & function WITHOUT changing to 80 Ah setting (IF 90 Ah is what is shown as current setting, as viewed using INPA above), BUT you should change the SETTING in the Power Module of the DME using NCS Dummy or something simple to use similar to that. If you changed battery TYPE (FLA to AGM or vice-versa) then even MORE reason to change setting in DME.

I'll attach the NCS screen that shows the choices of settings to the next post, so as NOT to mess up margins of this one. The actual screen you will see when connected to your vehicle will have "checkboxes" with the current setting being "checked" and changing is basically like using a Windows dialog box for changing settings.

George
Thanks a lot, so confusing! I installed an Autocraft battery from Advanced Auto Parts
https://shop.advanceautoparts.com/p/...000%7CL3*15597

It is the same type of battery as oem (non-agm). The oem is 80ah. This battery from the site says Reserve Capacity: 135 min which gives me 81ah. I installed it yesterday and connected INPA and it shows me this

So no need to code/change anything in NCS right? So I ran the job in Tool32 and in INPA hit F5, Status > F5, IBS/PM > F5, Batterietausch Registrieren. So i'm done right?

Last edited by JunkyardDogg; 05-20-2019 at 08:53 AM..
Appreciate 0