View Single Post
      05-20-2019, 10:59 AM   #233
gbalthrop
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2007 328xi E91

Quote:
Originally Posted by JunkyardDogg View Post
...I installed an Autocraft battery from Advanced Auto Parts...It is the same type of battery as oem (non-agm). The oem is 80ah. This battery from the site says Reserve Capacity: 135 min which gives me 81ah. I installed it yesterday and connected INPA and it shows me this [80 Ah Battery Capacity]
So no need to code/change anything in NCS right? So I ran the job in Tool32 and in INPA hit F5, Status > F5, IBS/PM > F5, Batterietausch Registrieren. So i'm done right?
Stick a fork in him -- I think he's done. You don't sound confused at all.

You appear to have "mastered" the subject of Battery Replacement. You could run "< F6 > Histogramm Reset" to "initialize" the PM for the new battery. That's found immediately after < F5 > Battery Registration. That should clear the data for the last 5 days in the right column of the screen you attached (MSD80 Power Module Info Field 2).

Translation can be necessary when using INPA, as many of the Fault Definitions and other technical terms are in German, and Google Translate is very helpful for that purpose:
https://translate.google.com/#view=h...te&sl=de&tl=en

Whoever translated the version of INPA you are using got in a hurry. If you look at the "Info Field 2" you attached, note that the Histogram data on the right column shows 6 lines related to "Start Capacity" the first line is "current" or at the moment start capacity, and the next 5 lines are "one day ago" up to "5 days ago." "Aktuell" is the word used in the original German, which can mean both "Current" AND "Actual." Since ALL 6 lines are "actual" readings -- just the last 5 are 1 to 5 days ago -- the best translation of aktuell for this purpose is "current."

That's NOT a big deal, but if you look at the NEXT 6 lines related to "Charge Status" or Charge Condition, note that the last 5 lines ALL read "1 day ago." That SHOULD read the same as the corresponding 5 lines above, namely 1 day ago, 2 days ago, ... 5 days ago. The data value is correct, but the "tag" or description translation is INCORRECT.

Anyone using INPA should be aware that in many cases the English translation was done by well-meaning volunteers who were trying to get something useful out there for people like me who only know ONE language: "Americanese." However, stuff happens, and someone who speaks both German & English once told me "German is a concise language." I take that to mean than one word in German may have different meanings, depending upon context. Example: AKTUELL = current, latest, actual, relevant, etc. Likewise: DRUCK = pressure, print, press, push, etc.

I still use an older (mostly-German except for some menu items) version of INPA which I took the time to translate myself for the simple reason that there ARE "variations" in the translation.

INPA is a powerful diagnostic tool, and I would encourage ANYONE who wants to understand HOW his E9x works, or WHY it is NOT working as intended, to learn how to use it to (1) read & clear fault codes and FF Data using F4, Fault Memory; (2) Read Parameters in real time using F5, Status; or (3) Test and monitor functions with Activations, using F6, Activations (Steuern).

Hope to see MORE forum members increasing and sharing their INPA skills & knowledge on this forum.

George
Appreciate 0