View Single Post
      01-12-2010, 03:36 AM   #12
doughboy
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 Comp 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by FieldingMellish View Post
It's true that there are many threads on this subject. But, I'm not sure I've ever seen a definitive answer to the following question: does switching from full DSC to DTC do more than just allow wheel spin? I dunno if it's just my imagination, but I always think that the car feels a bit 'looser' when I am in DTC mode.

Some people seem to think that if you switch to DTC, then it will only make a difference in those situations where, if you were still in DSC, you would see the flashing orange warning sign. It's my understanding, though, that this is not correct.

It may be just me, but I feel my car drives differently, in general, when I have DTC on.
You're right mate.

DTC allows more wheel spin (a lot more) and much more vehicle yaw to occur before intervening.

For example, whilst on a trackday, I found with DTC on you could brake really really hard, upsetting the car, and then throw the car partly sideways into turns at various speeds and exit with up to 1/4 turn of oppo lock on and be spinning a rear wheel.

I never saw the yellow light flash once.

With DSC ON the car just understeered terribly towards the curbs, with no power available to do anything about it. All you could do was brake more to slow down and recover it that way from a snails pace.

Also in the snow with DTC on I've had loads of fun with the back end out at 45degrees and loads of wildy varying lock and wheel spin with out much flashing of the yellow light.

TBH unless you are about to spin the car, or be wheel spinning violently, I can't see when DTC would kick in over having all the systems off.
Appreciate 0