View Single Post
      10-02-2012, 10:59 PM   #1
turb0mik3
Rep
Drives: E90 335i Racecar

Garage List
2010 BMW 335i  [8.90]
[turb0mike] BMW CCA HPDE AAA Speedway 10/1/12

As all of you know, Fall is entering its prime and Winter is just around the corner. Track season is starting again, marking the beginning my second season of throwing my car around the twisties.

I saw Dan's (The Hack) post regarding the HPDE event around 2 months ago. I had heard good things and bad things about the event but I decided to get my foot in the door and give it a try.

Le me begin by saying that I believe each and every BMW enthusiast should take the time and money to partake in one of these events. I am not getting paid to promote them, lol. The instructors knew what they were talking with and were very helpful in their tips and guidance.

I was paired with Eddy, who has almost two decades of time racing behind the wheel. The first run I didn't bother adjusting the tire pressure, nor did I dial in my new AST 4250's, nor did I drive aggressive. I had heard (from sources) that you aren't supposed to drive fast or aggressive. I was driving a reserved 50% and was being passed by most everyone in the intermediate group (3rd out of 4 levels). Ended the session and had a great talk with Eddy and my head instructor Steve. I asked steve about the common stereotype and whether or not I should push the car. Steve said "Eddy goes balls to the wall." From that point, I knew this was going to be an amazing day.

Second session I dialed in my suspension to 9/10th stiffness, pushed my tire pressure down to 30/32, and went 100% in the second session. Eddy did not mention a word the entire 20 minutes. After the checkered flag, Eddy was clapping with a huge grin on his face. He asked me, "What the heck? What was with the switch?" I mentioned that I totally dialed in the car and I was driving pretty conservatively not to piss him off. Eddy then responded, "I am transferring you into the advanced plus group. You are far passed the learning curve in this group and you will be just as, if not more, advanced than most of the people in the A+ group. I have only moved one person up in 20 years of instructing."

I was then introduced to the advanced group and the advanced instructors, Blaine (m coupe) & Joe (996 GT3). They were so warm and were happy to take me in after seeing my performance. They are some of the best drivers I have ever seen. Their car control is immensely impressive and just sitting in a classroom talking about all the various corners and attack plans was mind-boggling. I would have paid just to sit in a classroom and listen to them talk.

Sorry, enough about the boasting and stupid details, I am just so impressed and excited from my first event. Temperatures where around 110 degrees on the track, so my RS3s became pretty greasy after 3-4 laps. I apologize for my somewhat inconsistent lines for the video was taken during the last session (25 minutes long including both intermediate & A+ groups).

Without further a due...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-10SPjVy3wg&feature=plcp

TURN TO 720P!!! And that rattling is my rebound adjustment metal knob hitting the metal under the rear window, lol.

The HPDEs are twice every year, but there are Porsche Club HPDEs every once and a while. As I said before, everyone should take part in these classes. Positively a great experience!!!

P.S. High rez pics are available if anyone wants one!

HG Motorsports | Motiv Motorsport | Sparta Evolution | BBS Motorsports | Sabelt | JRZ |
NASA ST1 SoCal --- 554whp/487wtrq --- 3200lbs <<YouTube Channel w/ Race Videos>>
Appreciate 0