Thread: Bmw to WRX?
View Single Post
      05-03-2012, 09:55 PM   #6
tullnd
Private
Rep
Drives: 2009 335i A/T

You understand that in almost all instances, a car is a depreciating asset. Meaning it's a money loser. You say: I could get a brand new one that would have warranty and be paying a couple dollars per month than I am paying right now for my car.

I'm not sure what you mean, either you'll be paying a couple dollars more or less a month. For the exact same term of the loan? If you're so scared of a car having 80k on it, I assume you're not just 1 or 2 years into ownership on this BMW. So I'd guess it's near paid off(unless you made the serious mistake of getting more than a 4 year loan on a used car....bad financial planning if so).

Buying new and extending the loan is not the economical thing usually. A car today should easily hit 100k + and still remain somewhat reliable. Odds are that you will come out ahead. If you're that concerned about it financially, you really should be purchasing something like an old Honda that's fairly bulletproof and also incredibly cheap to keep running. Not saying that to be rude, but if you're that concerned about finance, I'd think sucking it up and driving the cheap car for a few years can put you way ahead.

I drove my old Subaru for over 10 years, since I bought it new in 2001. That decision to keep driving it is what put me in the position to buy my 09 BMW and pay over 50% cash and only carry a 2 year loan on the balance. I treat cars as a money loser and nicer ones as a luxury, only afforded when my financial situation makes their cost a non-factor in my monthly budget.

If you're seriously that concerned, don't get a new WRX. Buy a cheap car for a few years until you're in a much more financially secure position.
Appreciate 0