View Single Post
      01-13-2017, 05:01 PM   #7
ajsalida
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 95 M3, 02 R1150GSA, 09 335xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by E30_335i View Post
I don't track a Xi, but the chassis is not that different than mine. Save the money on coilovers, they do no good on track. Heavy sway bars ruin the handling too. A bigger front bar, Bilstein B6 shocks, and the M3 control arm upgrade and you will be good to go. Braking is always a problem till you move to a big brake system. The OEM calipers just can't take the heat.
Don't want to open a can of worms here but the OEM XI suspension is very different from RWD. In a word it sucks, maybe worst ever put out but BMW. Too tall, too much body roll, over sprung, under damped and with the RFT's, just plain horrible.

One reason to get coilovers on XI is, contrary to RWD, XI is very hard to lower and get enough travel and the F/R rake right. But yes if you don't have to, get some decent shocks, lowering springs (ZSP work), at least a front bar (UUC makes the only one, there is a GB going on in the XI section). EG I had to go Eibach front springs, ZSP rear to get the rake right, rear was far too low with Eibachs. This is a problem with nearly all springs on XI. With CO at least you can adjust ride height and maybe depending on what you want to spend, get some extra travel in front which is very limited otherwise.

Nothing control arm-wise from M3 fits in front, but everything that fits RWD in back does. Beyond that you get into subframe bushings and so forth.

Tons of threads on this here in the XI section, OP I recommend you start reading more. XI suspension is very tricky to get right, even trickier setting it up for track.
Appreciate 0