Drives: 2007 328i / 2014 M235i

Garage List
  [0.00]
  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by fastboatster View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by mecheng77 View Post
I started to like Audi s4, but I've read even the B8.5 has mechatronic issues with the trans, that would completely screw you with a huge bill. VAG always seems to have major expensive flaws.

That leaves the F30: m340i, the B58 is awesome. I've driven my brothers M240i and it's awesome but I like Sedans. I know a lot of E90 guys shit on them but I think compared to modern competition it was more fun to drive compared to the S4 and the engine is intoxicating.
Pretty much same boat here, have to be an f30 vs b8/b8.5 platform. I think I shared how dissapointed I am with my b8 s4 which had selector lever sensor fail, much worse than mech. Mech is easy, drop the oil pan, replace the solenoids and pcbs and it will work again. That sensor though has to have the trans come of and torn down. Also, dual clutch, dmf do wear out as well as bearing seat where the clutch drum shaft rides. Add melted cats if you start tuning it and it becomes rather difficult to own it if you try to DIY everything. Wish it was really fun for all the trouble. I think I mentioned that I like f chassis 4 series more than non-sport 3 series.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fastboatster View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by mecheng77 View Post
I started to like Audi s4, but I've read even the B8.5 has mechatronic issues with the trans, that would completely screw you with a huge bill. VAG always seems to have major expensive flaws.

That leaves the F30: m340i, the B58 is awesome. I've driven my brothers M240i and it's awesome but I like Sedans. I know a lot of E90 guys shit on them but I think compared to modern competition it was more fun to drive compared to the S4 and the engine is intoxicating.
Pretty much same boat here, have to be an f30 vs b8/b8.5 platform. I think I shared how dissapointed I am with my b8 s4 which had selector lever sensor fail, much worse than mech. Mech is easy, drop the oil pan, replace the solenoids and pcbs and it will work again. That sensor though has to have the trans come of and torn down. Also, dual clutch, dmf do wear out as well as bearing seat where the clutch drum shaft rides. Add melted cats if you start tuning it and it becomes rather difficult to own it if you try to DIY everything. Wish it was really fun for all the trouble. I think I mentioned that I like f chassis 4 series more than non-sport 3 series.
How much was that repair? Does it also affect the B8.5? Do you still have the car?
Appreciate 0