07-10-2012, 04:45 AM   #47
SMC23
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: Subaru XTrek / X5 40e

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M View Post
Sorry, I meant group buy for the paint protection. I'll look into Krown next year for a group buy maybe.

And here's my logic about the drilling. Drilling causes an unprotected area of metal on the door. Also, because of the drilling action, it places stress on that point which further encourages corrosion. Putting a plug in it will create an area where moisture can be trapped. I think it's doing more harm than good.

I suppose something I can ask is for them to put a long tube through the weep hole (the drains at the bottom of the door) and have them spray the Krown in. I know of some people who do that themselves but they use chain wax (the stuff they use for bicycle chains). I'll consider doing that myself too. Anything but drilling (it's not cosmetic since you won't see it - it's more because it'll probably even cause rust!)
Had to chime in hear to say that there is absolutely no issues drilling holes from krown rust proofing. I've had my '06 325i treated since new and to this day after 230k k, and winter driven, I have no noticeable rust on any painted panels, including the drilled access points.

I had a long discussion with the owner of a krown in Richmondhill that has been doing this for over 50yrs, about drilling holes, and 70% of the protection is from spraying the inside of doors, the fenders, and the trunk. These are the areas that rust will eventually migrate to after >10+ years. I believed him because he had one of those classic cars out front thar must of been +30yrs old without a single trace of rust!
Appreciate 0