drrnpckns
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW 335i e90

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpaul View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by drrnpckns View Post
I’ve got a 2007 335i FBO and I just recently shotgunned a ton of parts into it (mostly maintenance) and the car runs perfectly however I’m now having intermittent starting issues. When the car does start it start and runs fine, no issues. Other times no crank, no start but if i wait like 5 minutes it’ll start just fine, no long crank no problems at all. I thought i had narrowed it down to the car not starting upon immediate restart but now this morning i went to start it up and it wouldn’t start and i checked to see if it threw any codes and i got these codes

29E0
2D25
2DC3
CD95
CD98
CD99
CD9C
CD9D
CD9E
CDA0
CDA1
CDA5
CDA8
CDAD
CDB0

I remember when i was troubleshooting a starting issue i had pulled the ignition fuse relay (I think that’s what it was) and it threw a bunch of codes like this but I don’t remember the codes exactly.

Wanna guess connector/corrosion. The essence of your problem is that the DME is unable to communicate, or do so reliably, with other modules, the important ones being EGS (trans) and CAS, since the DME won't start the engine without those. 2D25, 2DC3, 29E0 won't stop your engine.

Why this is happening? Anybody's guess. Again, wanna guess it has something to do with your 'shotgunning' a ton of parts" into the car. However, since the engine will sometimes run, the problem is intermittent. Intermittent electrical problems are often about corrosion on a connector or wire. First, trace all the components you disturbed during your shotgunning. Also, look for water in the DME box. Pull off the DME connectors and spray with a good quality contact cleaner (DeoxIT is the best I know).

EDIT: on re-read I notice you say you sometimes have no-crank, no-start. That adds a lot to the mix. You can completely remove the DME and the engine will still crank - that is controlled by CAS. How to put all this together? Not obvious but look to the simple, most common, no-crank issues; engine ground strap, B+ line from battery box to jumper terminal.
To clarify what parts I've replaced in the last week:

Valve cover, gasket and PCV
Plugs
Coils
Starter
Lpfp
Battery
Thermostat
Turbo inlets (because i broke the rear one taking off the intake manifold changing the starter)
Appreciate 0