09-08-2018, 12:18 PM   #14
Nexus313
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW 340i 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by rick100 View Post
Ok first thing is first, whoever said 16-17k in private market has not idea what he is talking about. Just go take a look on autotrader and try to find a 335 with that type of mileage fr 16-17k. I m only guessing that member is thinking about US market with US dollars

Then manual may hold their value better on coupes and older cars that enthusiastic just want to modify. These are usually cars under the 15k range. Your car is somewhere approaching that market .

Also did the dealer offered you 21k after tax saving on your new purchased or before tax saving? . Keep in mind that at 21k , you still need to add 2500-3000 on top , as these are savings towards your next purchased. So 21k offer before tax savings is close to 24k offer in reality.
If the dealer offered you 21k total , that means they have already included the tax saving on your next purchased, so the actual offer for the car is more like 18k

Lastly , did the dealer gave you an actual document with the appraisal , or did the sales guy just said 21k. I was " offered" 19k for my car 3 years ago , only to find the day I went in to purchase the new car that the 19k offered already included the tax savings, and to make matters worst the official offer on writting was 15.5k or so ( 13 500 K for the car and like 1200 on tax savings)...
The prices on Auto trader don't even reflect anywhere near what these cars go for... Look at how long these people have had their ads up for!

Do you know how long that car will sit on Auto trader for if it was priced more than 18k? MONTHS.. maybe even til next season!! You have to realize ... Most people buying these 335 are teenagers that are comparing them to an 07 335i space grey coupe with 200k kms and blown turbos for $5k and thinking why on Earth would I spend upwards $25k on it. (That is if they even have that much $$ to begin with) ... Also if you try to make the arguement about non teenager enthusiasts? No enthusiasts want an automatic ... It's a sad reality if this car was manual you could get allot more easily.

OP, you have a nice car. It's unfortunate that people on the market will not appreciate an auto. Or a car with low kms. It's a tough reality. Price the car accordingly so that it will move or you WILL be stuck with it for a long long time, you may be able to squeeze 2-3k more if you decide to wait but you have to take into account how long can you wait? Are you in a rush?? How bad do you want another car? Parking spaces? Also have to take into account that winter season is around the corner and people are taking out their beaters and nobody is interested in a bimmer coupe.

To put it into presepective: A friend of mine picked up an 11' 335i xdrive LeMans blue MSport manual with 80k kms, fully loaded, nav, clean records.. list price on Auto trader was $25k but he took it home for only $18k.. and this was a much more rarer spec than OP, also this was 1+ yr ago.

Last edited by Nexus313; 09-08-2018 at 12:27 PM..
Appreciate 0