View Single Post
      09-15-2013, 11:20 PM   #6
E902009
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 328i

Here's what I told each of the dealerships I visited, and I was not lying about any of them:

1. I'm willing to travel up and down the state for the right car at the right price. I don't mind taking a train or a road trip to get to it, then drive the car home. I love road trips, so it's no bother at all. By telling them this, they know their competition is the entire state of California, not just the dealerships in next town over and the used car lots.

2. I'm in no big hurry to buy, but if we can agree on a good price, I'll sign on the dotted line today. I really was not in a hurry to buy my car, as I was looking around and browsing. I had trips coming up to go to OC and San Diego, and the inventory is just as good as the Bay Area.

3. I am interested in this car, but I can't accept this price at this time. However, please let me know if you have other buyers looking at this car. Please give me first dibs. If you ask nicely, and explain to them if this happens the odds might be in their favor, they'll most likely keep you in mind.

And wait until towards the end of the month, like on the 25th or so. Not at the end of the month, where they're working on a bunch of deals at the same time, because you could very easily be written off as a casualty if they have higher-dollar customers on the line.

The bottom line is this, and I'm repeating myself...Treat the sales guys/gals with respect. When you walk into a BMW dealership, you're not dealing with Sergio the Slimeball at Wheelz for Less, who is trying to sell you a high-mileage E90 with bling rims. These are professionals at the top of their game. Be respectful, but make sure you're respect-worthy. It makes the negotiating process go a lot smoother.

Oh, and the car you're looking at...$25-26k seems like a decent price.
Appreciate 0