View Single Post
      09-16-2013, 06:15 AM   #11
John 070
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 335i cpe

What I've always found is that when you are willing to walk out the door, you can get a better price. You cannot beat the house, but you can do better than the avg. Joe before you. c'mon I bought my 335i coupe in 10/06, when zero were in stock at any dealer nationwide, wait list. At first I was told list price. I walked out the door. By monday it was $1700 off, "But don't tell any of your friends about this deal, I can't give it to anybody else." Please.

Then they tried to add MACO and training fees. I said cancel my order and give the allocation to somebody else. Oh snap, suddenly the fees evaporated. They could have easily got another su**** to pay list, so why would they accept my $1,700 off? Because it's a bird in hand.

The way to fight overpaying is to accept the fact that you may not be able to afford what you want. I cannot afford a 2013 M3. So, if I'm shopping for one, I tell the salesperson up-front, since I can't afford it, either you come down, or I don't buy it. They try to play upon your ego (like many on this forum who brag about what they can afford). Another trick is to say you have to check with your wife or g/f. It's like wearing a pink shirt, if you're confident, they cannot psychologically play it against you (can't you make a decision without your wife or g/f, on your own?).

Remember, you're not trying to buy an iPhone or iPad--there, there is no room for negotiation. Buying a BMW is quite the opposite--most people out there cannot afford them, even though they want them.
Appreciate 0