Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2006 330xi Titanium Silver

Garage List
2006 330xi  [10.00]
2006 330xi  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ihavedrivenanm1
Never said there wouldn't be a loss. But the question is whether or not I consider what the additional money buys [regardless of how much] to be good value for said money.

Considering this I can't think of anything of more value/fun/entertainment that I could buy with that $3K or $4K that I couldn't buy right now anyway [and I already give away about 8-10% of gross as it is, though I suppose one can always give more and that is a good thing.].

Now consider also the facts that the bumper-to-bumper warranty [and service costs] are extended for a year and the fact that I will not have to pop for $1200 in new tires for another two years and that just makes the total package even better...
What you haven't factored in is tags and tax (which you will have paid twice), interest over time on your "small loan" and the fact that next year you're still going to have to spring for that same $1200 for new tires. So really what we're talking about is not a savings, but delayed spending. This easily pushes your hit up to over 5 grand.

I guess in the end it really does come down to personal priorities and preferences. When I was in sales I always said a good deal is whatever the customer thinks is a good deal. I'm sure there are a lot of BMW SA's out there who are hoping a lot of folks like you think trading their new E90's in on an E92 for a loss is a good deal