View Single Post
      09-21-2016, 05:08 PM   #14
shirtpants_
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 11 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloud9blue View Post
Back to the discussion on the hood vents.

Aero probably won't make a huge difference, but...

Having a vent there should dramatically increase the airflow through the radiator, which in M4 GTS has that, same with all the 911 GT3/2 cars. The engine bay airflow setup is pretty piss poor on our cars. All the high pressure air from the grilles through the radiator doesn't really have a place to go.

But I have to say it just won't look right on the smooth exterior non-M or M-sport e9x. You could have the bodyshop fill up the two vents on the side if you want to go with it though. Just FYI, most aftermarket hood has pretty awful fitment from all the pictures I have seen over the years.

You might want to message the OP on this thread, who went with a modded stock hood similar to what you have in mind: http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1172039

Btw, it would be interesting to see the data from the other side of the hood. Surely you can find a place to cruise at 80-90mph, no?
Yeah, I think the m4 gts is going to be the closest thing we have to draw inspiration from. The 911's ducting has a very steep angle from the point of air leaving the radiator, to the hood vent in front, which leads me to believe that the low pressure area is doing a good job of pulling the air out from behind the radiator.

That aftermarket hood is for an e92, not an e90 . I really like the way the center vent was done, but oh well. I was also worried about the fitment. I think modified stock hood is probably the way to go. I'll definitely talk to SeanS54 when I get closer to and/or more serious about venting the hood.

Weel see about some "high" speed testing. Maybe by the beginning of next week ill have some more data to share.
Appreciate 0