Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRox View Post
Good write up you forgot one thing...and its probably because your M3 is a DCT:

Naturally aspirated engine.

I'm a big stickler for pure driving experience...and 335i is ok...its not great, turbo charged engine is laggy and slow, doesn't rev up fast or drop down slow (My 1991 Honda accord drops and picks up faster...super responsive)...its steering does lack feel.

With 6 MT...335 doesn't feel natural, the torque is available in a non linear manner...and the lag...when you press down on the gas pedal to free rev, and try to play wit it...you realise the N54 is not as responsive as a naturally aspirated engine...even an average 330 is more responsive.

So the M3 is natrually aspirated, and with 6 MT woudl be a more pure driving experience.

But yea, the killer is the fuel cost...as someone clocking 30 K Kms a year + ...v8 is not neeeded, its a good weekend car; but here in North America....we do 1000 KM trips constantly....distances are far.
Err....i didn't say the M3 was less responsive - i said that at low revs in the lower gears on part throttle openings it does not feel as responsive as the 335i does ..........OBVIOUSLY if you drive the M3 as intended in the higher rpms it is much more responsive than the 335i. You state plenty of generic points about NA vs FI in your post which i find very patronising considering i own/have owned both these cars and and fully understand the characteristics of both engines.

I did learn something from your post though - that 'distances are far' - epic.
2009 6MT E90 LCI 335i M -Sport - Sold

Last edited by ss134; 10-21-2010 at 03:11 PM..
Appreciate 0