Thread: E91s For Sale
View Single Post
      06-28-2018, 07:28 AM   #1077
1fastbolt
Rep
Drives: SVT Lightning

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSBM5 View Post
The car appears to be what I'd call a daily driver/beater in the condition you would expect for 170k miles. It will sell for more than it should imo. Depending on one's objectives with a car like this one, it could either need a LOT of work right away, or be driven as a beater, leaks and all. IMO if the leak was easy to fix, the seller would have fixed it, so buyer beware.

I will say that on my E91 the right front footwell did get damp when it would rain, and it turned out to be the door vapor barrier. I had to replace the window regulator, so I heated up the vb and the "goo" with a heat gun, and evenly and carefully resealed it. This was 2 years ago, and the leak never came back.

If you're not very DIY capable, and you have to pay a shop for repairs, these cars (older BMWs) can easily eat you alive - hence the reason you see them selling cheaply now. On the other hand, buying parts at hefty discounts and doing one's own labor, makes these cars much more enjoyable to own. Few owners will pay a shop $2500 to fix an OFHG, oil pan and valve cover gasket leaks (all of which are a given on higher mileage E9x) when the trade in value of their car is $5k.
My hope for the car is that it will sell for less than 10k, but i will be using it as mostly a daily beater, with some fun on the side, possibly track use.
Appreciate 0