View Single Post
      08-16-2009, 02:39 PM   #103
drivecar
Private
Rep
Drives: bmw

Quote:
Originally Posted by qapla97 View Post
I'd like to see pictures of aftermarket (Garmin/TomTom/etc.) installations in the E90. I've seen them plopped on the dashtop and they look horrible, with wires all over.

Has anyone done integration (say mounting where the ashtray was, tilted up) or stuff like that?

My 330 has no iDrive (thank god) but I'd like a clean nav solution.
You can simply add Velcro to the middle cupholder and the back of a Nuvi.
[u2b]<object width="560" height="340"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/lRsW6-jg3ak&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/lRsW6-jg3ak&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="560" height="340"></embed></object>[/u2b]

Put the Nuvi under the armrest then get a low profile power port splitter so you have clearance to shut the armrest while the Nuvi is plugged in. Then get a thin mini-USB extension cable to you can can leave it plugged into the armrest power port and still shut the lid without crushing the quite thick charger cable that comes with some Garmins.

I think the adhesive will come off with some kind of anti adhesive solution or a hair dryer and some elbow grease if you ever want to remove it.
Worst case scenario, leave the velcro on permanently or just buy a replacement cupholder. They are like $40 new.

You can also get a vent clip mount, but leaving the mount attached my attract unwanted attention and it will be a hassle to fumble with attaching and removing the vent clip if you use the GPS everyday and need to remove it several times a day.
The Velcro can be used to mount anything you want, such as cell phone or notepad. It isn't a GPS specific mount.

Last edited by drivecar; 08-22-2009 at 09:10 PM..
Appreciate 0