09-10-2012, 10:47 AM   #103
montreal red
chris
Canada
Rep
Drives: White Boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenneth View Post
Low mileage widebody Pcar 993 to replace the Darth Vader?
not a bad choice... i've seen a lot of fast 993s on the track with the right mods...

what i learned from my Pcar experience... the cars are can be daily driven but are definitely not daily driver friendly... the ride of my pcar is more harsh and there's less sound insulation than the m3... ground clearance around town seems to be an issue as well. i seem to be scrapping the front lip of my car everywhere i go. to sum it up - as a daily car, i'd much rather drive the wife's STI...

of course its a different story on the track. so the question is, how much track time are you going to be doing ?

some things to note about the 993s when shopping around:
- they had defective wiring harnesses and front airbags. both were recalled by porsche so make sure the previous owner took this car in and got the recall fix performed.
- the 993 had primary and secondary air injection system. this should be checked out by a porsche mechanic before purchase. otherwise it might result in a very expensive top end rebuild due to clogged secondary air ports.
- if you are considering the targa model, make sure you do a water test on the glass roof because it is susceptible to leaks. the old seals might have to be taken care of.
- check the suspension bushings in the front control arms since they tend to wear out pretty quickly. however, this isnt that big a deal since it is easily replaceable.

Current: 2013 F10 M5 & 2016 Mini JCW
2013 GLK350 (gone), 997.1 GT3RS (gone), 2009 WRX STI (gone), e92 M3 (gone)
Appreciate 0